WELCOME TO THE CITY OF NEW LEIPZIG, NORTH DAKOTA FIRE DEPARTMENT

WELCOME PAGE | ABOUT US | FIRE SAFETY | TORNADO PREPAREDNESS | PHOTO GALLERY | VIDEO GALLERY | HISTORY |CONTACT US

 

 

CLICK IMAGES TO ENLARGE

The first school building built in New Leipzig which later burned to the ground

The first school building built in New Leipzig which later burned to the ground

 

Brick school built after the wooden structure burned & before the addition was built on the east side of the school

Brick school built after the wooden structure burned & before the addition was built on the east side of the school

 

Early day volunteer fire department returning from fighting a prairie fire

Early day volunteer fire department returning from fighting a prairie fire

 

Birdsall elevator fire 1949

Birdsall elevator fire 1949

 

Okken store fire & bank demolition 1956

Okken store fire & bank demolition 1956

 

Okken store fire & bank demolition 1957

Okken store fire & bank demolition 1957

 

Site for new fire hall

Site for new fire hall

 

Fire hall dedication

Fire hall dedication

 

Fire hall dedication ribbon cutting

Fire hall dedication ribbon cutting

 

Elevator burns

Elevator burns

Taken from the 50th anniversary book

 

As in many newly organized towns, the original fire departments consisted of volunteers, water buckets & the prayers that fire just wouldn't start. The businessmen of New Leipzig decided that fire was one of the things that was unnecessary but that prevention was better than fighting of the fires.

 

They also took steps to keep ready just in case & managed to raise funds enough to but two fire fighting carts pulled by the firemen themselves. The carts were filled with an acid solution to keep the fire under control.

 

They had enough money to buy the carts but couldn't pay the freight on the machines so the railroad company donated the cost of the freight. Both machines are still in existence & at the present time one of the carts is on display at the fire house.

 

The people of this town have always been very conscious of the fire hazard & especially during the early days when there was a definite water shortage.

 

The volunteers organized into a group in October of 1912 & the first fire chief elected was Christ Hertz with W.E. Harke as assistant chief. Early & costly fires hurt this town & many businesses failed to come back after a fire. The loss helped the rest to take all the precautions to keep fires away.

 

Among some of the early fires were the Livery Barn, Moose Hall, the school & the Flour Mill. The most costly fire was the Birdsall elevator in the early 1950's. The town was lucky enough to have had no loss of lives due to a fire since the beginning.

 

In 1934 the fire department was reorganized & a constitution with by laws was drawn up. Since that time the department has a standing membership of 20 members. In 1948 a new truck was ordered completely equipped & has been used with good results. Several calls have been made into the surrounding area to help control fires. The furthermost fire call was to help control an elevator fire in Mott.

 

In 1947 a rural fire department was organized & a truck purchased with the local firemen working together with the rural group & this addition can handle all but the largest fires.

 

The firemen of 1960 are: Elmond Rieger (Chief), Albert Weller (Assistant Chief), Art Weller (Secretary-Treasurer), Frank Boesflug (Fire Marshall), Arthur Tietz, Alfred Olien, Herbert Hochhalter, Christ Stelter, Robert Bader, Ray Bader, C.M. Quill, N.D. Schulz, Walter Davenport, Ernest Mueller, L.E. Schmidt, Almore Hertz, Don Okken, Otto Stern, Robert Tietz & Henry Stelter.

 


(Articles from the New Leipzig Sentinel News)

(More will be added as time goes by)

 

August 4, 1911

NEW LEIPZIG'S FIRST FIRE

New Leipzig is thankful today that it has its chemical engines. It is generally admitted that but for its apparatus the town would have had a serious fire. As it is P.P. Schlosser's barn is indeed burned to the ground. etc. etc.

 

September 22, 1911

A GIFT BY THE N.P.

The freight had not been paid on the two chemical engines - difficult to raise funds of $30.22. The N.P. will stand the cost and will deliver check for the amount.

 

January 5, 1912

Chemical engines are moved to new town hall. Marshall John Quaschnick maintains fire in hall.

 

October 12, 1912

FIRE BOYS MEET - On Tuesday of this week the fire laddies of our village met and organized a fire department. W.E. Harke was elected chairman with J.P. Zweber as secretary and treasurer. Christ Hertz was elected chief with W.E. Harke as assistant chief. The choice of the engine men was left to the chief. The Village board has kindly consented to furnish all chemicals, water and other necessary materials for use in fire drills which are to be held at regular intervals. The Village board has also offered a prize of $15 to the engine gang who has the best looking engine at the close of the year as well as offered to get a fire hook and ladder cart and set of ladders.

 

 

WELCOME PAGE | ABOUT US | FIRE SAFETY | TORNADO PREPAREDNESS | PHOTO GALLERY | VIDEO GALLERY | HISTORY |CONTACT US

 

Copyright© - New Leipzig, North Dakota Fire Department - All Rights Reserved

 

 

The Images & Text On This Website May Be Used Without Permission As It Is For All To See & Use!